Soft and sugary, but spicy too, Chai Spice Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies. I just baked this batch for our guests.
Chai Spice Snickerdoodles*
2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/8 t. ground cardamom
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
3/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/3 granulated white sugar
2 lg. eggs
1 t. almond extract
3 T. spiced sugar (2 T. + 1 t. granulated white sugar blended with 1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon, 1/4 t. ground ginger, 1/8 t. ground cardamom, and 1/8 t. ground nutmeg)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time and then beat in extract. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed.
3. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients just until well combined. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Remove dough from refrigerator and remove plastic wrap. Scoop by rounded tablespoonfuls. Roll dough between palms to form balls and then roll the balls in the spiced sugar mixture. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheets.
6. Bake for approximately 12 to 14 minutes or until just set and slightly golden. Place baking sheets on wire racks and allow cookies to cool. Enjoy!
* Recipe from my second cookbook, Confectionately Yours: A Collection of Cookies, Candies & Yummy Confections.