Spaghetti with Asparagus & Herbs
This dish is designed to highlight the flavors of its fresh ingredients rather than overpowering them with heavy tastes. Serve for lunch or a light dinner with bread, fresh fruit and a light cheese. (Makes about 3 servings.)
12 oz. spaghetti
1 lb. fresh asparagus
2 oz. extra virgin olive oil
1 oz. white balsamic vinegar
4 fresh lemons
several twists of fresh ground green and red peppercorns
1/4 t. sea salt
1/4 c. fresh golden oregano
1 T. fresh flat leaf parsley
1 1/2 t. fresh thyme
1. Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of lightly salted, boiling water.
2. About half way through the cooking time for the spaghetti, put the asparagus on the stove to steam. Cook until crisp tender. Remove from pot then rinse asparagus with cold water and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, combine olive oil, vinegar, juice of 2 of the lemons, fresh ground pepper and salt. Set aside.
4. Submerge herbs in a bowl of cold water to remove any possible dirt or insects. Remove herbs and rinse well. Pat dry. Strip herb leaves from stems. Discard stems and any damaged leaves. If there are any thyme flowers, set them aside for garnish.
5. When the spaghetti is cooked to desired consistency, drain well. Add the olive oil mixture to the pot that the pasta was cooked in. Return spaghetti to the pan and toss with the olive oil mixture.
6. Divide spaghetti between serving bowls. Top with fresh herbs and then with asparagus. Squeeze a little more fresh lemon juice over asparagus and then grind a little more fresh pepper over dish. Garnish with thyme flowers if available. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
That is just about the prettiest bowl of pasta I’ve ever seen. Love the thyme flowers on top!
Thank you, Veronica : )
I have the last of my asparagus tucked away in the fridge… I’m using it as sparingly and as long as I can! This looks like a delicious way to use what I have left.
Thanks, Amy. I hope that you enjoy it!
Mmmm…that looks like the perfect spring meal! 🙂
It is so nice to have an abundance of fresh herbs at this time of year!
This looks so delicious! I don’t know if you saw my post about my recipe challenge, but this week we are using fresh herbs as our ingredient…I may just have to use this recipe 🙂
Sounds like a fun challenge, Abigail! Good luck!
Delicious recipe, beautiful presentation! Thank you, Laurie!
Thanks, Amy! Have a great day!
This is so impressive! What a beautiful pasta. I love the freshness.
Thank you! It is nice to be able to go out to the garden and pick fresh herbs for dinner.
Looks delicious! 🙂
Thank you : ) Have a nice evening!