Sweet Cherry Muffins
2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. granulated white sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 c. melted butter
1 c. buttermilk
2 lg. eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
2 c. dark sweet cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped (frozen ok)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare 10 1/2-cup ceramic ramekins with butter and flour or with baking spray; or line 12 standard muffin cups with muffin papers, with butter and flour, or with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Stir together butter, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined. Stir mixture into dry ingredients until dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Fold in cherries.
4. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. Using the back of a spoon, shape tops of muffins into a slight mound. Sprinkle tops of muffins with cinnamon sugar.
5. If using ramekins, place ramekins on 2 baking sheets. Bake for about 15 – 20 min for 12 muffins or about 22 – 27 minutes for 10 muffins. Muffins should be firm to the touch when done.