Warm from the oven, these baked donuts are hard to resist!
Orange Chocolate Chip Baked Donuts
Donut batter ingredients:
1 3/4 c. + 2 T. white rice flour (for gluten-free) or all-purpose flour
1/3 c. granulated white sugar
2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 c. buttermilk
2 lg. eggs
2 T. unsalted butter, melted
2 t. fresh, finely grated orange zest
1 t. orange extract
2.5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 c. confectioner’s sugar
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1 T. + 1 t. fresh orange juice
1/2 t. orange extract
2 T. honey
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 6-mold donut baking pan with oil, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, orange zest, and orange extract. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until the mixture is smooth. If the batter is a little too stiff, slowly stir in just a little bit more buttermilk. Fold in chopped chocolate.
4. Divide the batter between the oiled donut molds. Spread batter with the back of a spoon to smooth out tops. If needed, run your fingers under cold water, shake them off lightly, then use them to shape the donuts. Batter will stand slightly above the top of the donut pan. Bake for about 10 minutes or until done to the touch.
5. While the donuts are baking, prepare the topping. Stir together confectioner’s sugar, cinnamon, orange juice, orange extract, and honey until very smooth.
6. When donuts are done baking, invert onto a cooling rack. Glaze right away, then sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately.
More baked donut recipes:
Enjoy! Have a great day!