A little something for National Bourbon Day …
(Not for children)
Boozy Bourbon Brownies
Makes about 25 small rich brownies
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1/2 c. dried currants
2 T. bourbon
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 T. natural cocoa
1/4 t. salt
2 lg. eggs
1/2 c. granulated white sugar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
Boozy Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting (Recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9” square baking pan or spray with baking spray.
- Melt chocolate and butter together, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the currants and bourbon. Set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs and white sugar together until pale, thick and creamy. (This takes about three to four minutes on high speed. Do not underbeat.) Beat in dark brown sugar and then beat in chocolate mixture. On lowest speed, beat in currants and bourbon. Then beat in dry ingredients just until they are incorporated. Pour batter into baking pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake for about 32 to 37 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out almost clean and the brownies feel firm to the touch. Place baking pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Before serving, cut brownies into squares and remove from pan. Frost tops of brownies with Boozy Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting.
Boozy Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes enough to frost one 9” square pan of baked goods or to decorate about 30 cookies.
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. confectioner’s sugar
1 T. + 2 t. Bourbon, or to taste
Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Beat until perfectly smooth. Taste. If desired, slowly beat in more Bourbon. Use to frost baked goods.
Have a great weekend!