Happy National Donut Day!
Strawberry Shortcake Donuts
1 3/4 c. + 2 T sifted all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/3 c. granulated white sugar
2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 c. buttermilk
2 lg. eggs, beaten
2 T. unsalted butter, melted
1 t. fresh lemon zest
3/4 c. finely chopped ripe strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 6-mold donut baking pan with oil. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, butter and lemon zest. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until mixture is smooth. If the mixture is too stiff, slowly stir in a little bit more buttermilk. Fold in strawberries.
4. Divide the batter between the donut molds. Spread with the back of a spoon. If needed, run your fingers under cold water, shake them off lightly, then finish shaping donuts with your damp fingers. The batter will stand above the donut pan. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until done to the touch.
5. Remove donut pan from the oven and place on a baking rack to cool for just a few minutes. While the donuts are resting make Lemon Glaze, recipe below. After a few minutes, turn donuts out upside down onto serving plates and then glaze. The donut holes will have slightly filled in on what was the top and is now the bottom of each donut. Top with fresh strawberries and whipped cream if desired. Serve while donuts are still warm. Enjoy!
1/2 c. confectioner’s sugar
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. fresh lemon zest
Directions: Slowly stir lemon juice into confectioner’s sugar until perfectly smooth. Stir in lemon zest.
Have a great weekend!