8 corn tortillas
3 white bulb onions (or other mild onion), thinly sliced (about 3/4 c.)
1 t. olive oil
4 c. vegetable or chicken stock
4 c. chopped fresh tomatoes (or Muir Glen canned fire roasted tomatoes)
1 – 2 dried Guajillo chili peppers
1 T. lime juice
3 T. minced cilantro, plus cilantro for garnish
1 avocado, diced
lime wedges for garnish
Crema Agria (or other sour cream)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice tortillas into 3/4-inch strips. Cut strips in half. Spread out on a baking sheet. Lightly salt strips, then bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until crisp and lightly brown. Toss strips every 10 minutes while baking. When done, set strips aside until ready to serve.
2. Saute onion in olive oil until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and cook for about 8 minutes or until tomatoes are cooked down and some of the liquid has cooked off. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree.
3. Pass tomato mixture through a sieve (to remove seeds and skins) into a 4 to 6 quart pot. Cook at a low simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Add Guajillo pepper(s) to soup about 5 minutes before serving. Add lime juice and cilantro about 1 minute before serving. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Remove pepper(s) before serving.
5. To serve: divide tortilla strips between four bowls. Ladle soup base over tortilla strips. Top with avocado, crema agria and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge.