It was cold and dreary here today, so my friend Sara and her daughters came over to bake cookies. What a perfect afternoon to have the oven on … and the girls did a great job!
Chocolate Mint Crinkles
Makes about 58 cookies
Chocolaty sugar cookies with Andes’ Mints.
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. Dutch process cocoa
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c. light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 c. granulated white sugar
1 lg. egg
2 t. bourbon or 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. finely chopped Andes’ mints or Andes’ creme de menthe baking chips
2/3 c. sparkling decorator’s sugars*
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and then bourbon or vanilla extract. On lowest mixer speed, beat in dry ingredients and then mints.
- Scoop a rounded teaspoonful of dough, roll into a ball, roll in decorator’s sugar to completely coat and then place on baking sheet. Repeat, spacing balls of dough at least 2” apart. When the first baking sheet is filled, bake cookies for about 14 to 16 minutes or until just barely set. Meanwhile, finish rolling the remaining dough.
- As baking sheets come out of the oven, place them on wire racks and allow cookies to cool.
* Sparkling sugars are available through baking specialty companies such as King Arthur Flour and Wilton. For this recipe, I use white, green or gold sugar, depending on the occasion.
Happy Baking! Have a great weekend!
It was fun to have the girls over : ) Have a great weekend, Lulu!
yum and what fun to have done this with both a friend and daughters. Lucky you!