Thank you to Where’s My Backpack for this week’s Sweet challenge!. This challenge is just to my taste. Enjoy!
Makes about 36 medium size cookies.
Soft, piped cookies lightly flavored with chocolate and spices, decorated with icing and nonpareils.
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/8 t. salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter
3/4 c. + 2 T. confectioner’s sugar
1 lg. egg
1 t. almond or vanilla extract
1 1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
Icing of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and confectioner’s sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. On lowest mixer speed, beat in dry ingredients and then chocolate.
- Using a heavy duty pastry bag fitted with a star tip, pipe cookie dough onto baking sheets, spacing cookies 1 1/2” apart. Cookies will not rise, spread or change shape while they bake.
- Bake for about 5 to 7 minutes or until set. Place baking sheets on wire racks and allow cookies to cool before decorating.
- Once cookies have cooled, decorate with icing and nonpareils.
Suggested shapes for piping: thick bars, stars, hearts, and wreaths.