Pumpkin Snack Cake
2 c. all-purpose flour (stir before measuring)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking power
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground mace
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
15 oz. (425 gm.) canned pumpkin
3/4 c. granulated white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. canola oil
1/3 c. buttermilk
1 lg. egg
2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 c. dried currants
1/2 c. finely chopped walnuts
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe at bottom of page)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9×9″ pan with baking spray or with butter and flour.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, mace and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together pumpkin, sugars, canola oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla until smooth and well-blended.
4. Stir pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients until smooth and no dry spots appear. Then fold in currants and walnuts. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Level top with the back of a spoon.
5. Bake for 38 – 48 minutes or until firm on top and a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack.
6. While cake is cooling, prepare cream cheese frosting. Once cake is cooled, invert onto a cooling rack, then re-invert onto a cutting board. Frost top of cake, then cut into squares. Enjoy!
Cream Cheese Frosting
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. + 1 T. confectioner’s sugar
1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1 T. + 1 t. milk
1/2 t. vanilla extract
Beat ingredients together until perfectly smooth.