It seems as though every lime pie is named “Key Lime Pie”, and yet fresh Key limes can be much more difficult to find than fresh Persian limes. Since the smaller, yellowish Key limes are considerably tarter than the larger, dark green Persian limes, the two varieties are not perfectly interchangeable. So, I decided to create a pie recipe based on Persian limes. This delicious, citrusy, cheesecake-like pie is wonderful for entertaining because it can be made up to a week ahead of time. Enjoy!
Persian Lime Pie
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c. granulated white sugar
1/4 t. salt
10 T. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together crumbs, sugar and salt. Stir in melted butter. Press crumb mixture into a 9” pie plate.
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet and bake crust for 8 minutes. (Make filling while crust is baking.) Remove crust from oven.
8 oz. low-fat cream cheese
2 14-oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
3/4 c. fresh squeezed Persian lime juice
1 1/2 t. lime extract (optional, recipe at bottom of page)
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese on medium-high speed until perfectly smooth. Scrape down bowl. Beat in sweetened condensed milk until perfectly smooth. Scrape down bowl. On low speed, beat in lime juice until perfectly incorporated. Again, scrape down bowl.
- Taste filling. If desired, beat in lime extract.
- Gently pour filling into pie crust and then bake (on baking sheet) for 15 minutes. (Filling should be firm/set, but not browned.)
- Remove pie from oven. Cool at room temperature for about 40 minutes. Chill for two hours before serving. (Cover pie with plastic wrap if not serving within a few hours.)
3/4 c. heavy cream
2 1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 t. lime, lemon or orange extract
- Combine ingredients in a deep bowl. Whip on high speed until cream holds peaks.
- Scoop into a pastry bag fitted with a large tip to garnish pie slices, or dollop cream onto slices, right before serving.
* Canned whipped cream can be substituted.
fresh grated Persian lime zest
12 thin slices of Persian limes
fresh blueberries, blackberries or raspberries (optional)
edible flowers (optional)
Sprinkle slices of pie with fresh grated lime zest. Place a twisted slice of lime on each piece of pie. Decorate pie servings with berries and or flowers, if desired. Serve immediately.
make several days ahead of time
1/4 c. vodka
2 t. fresh grated Persian lime zest (green rind only, no white pith)
1 t. granulated white sugar
- Combine ingredients in a small glass jar. Seal. Shake well to dissolve sugar.
- Store extract in cool dark place. (I use the freezer.) Shake extract well after one day.
- The following day, shake extract again. Then strain out lime zest, pressing zest through a sieve. Pour extract back into glass jar and cap tightly.